Updated: Jan 23
7 BENEFITS OF PERSONAL TRAINING
Why would you hire a personal trainer or a coach? Isn’t that for pros and wannabe athletes? Not necessarily – the benefits of personal training extend beyond super goal-oriented athletes. Whether you’re someone who is just starting their fitness journey or a seasoned gym goer/recreational athlete with a solid fitness level, having a personal trainer or a coach can help you meet your fitness goals faster, safer and more effectively– or gain better results or simply learn to enjoy exercise more than you ever thought was possible. The benefits of personal training can be endless but here I’ve broken down my top 7 reasons why hire a PT or a sports specific coach and how you can make the best of having one.
1. INDIVIDUAL EXPERT ADVICE In a world diluted with influencers and fitness “pros”, you can’t beat expert advice from a qualified and experienced professional. A qualified PT is the expert you need to provide you tailored advice and exercises, whether you’re goal is to:
Complete your first marathon or triathlon
Improve your sporting game
Charge up your training
Maximize your time and effort
The benefits of personal training and expert advice are unquestionable if you’re:
Suffering or recovering from an injury
Working out during pregnancy
Getting back to exercising post natal
2. SAFE, SUITABLE & SPECIFIC PROGRAMMING Everyone’s goals differ which is why if you take two people and do the same online program you will likely get different results. Investing in a PT means you get:
Encouragement and guidance on how to try new movements, and workouts
A wider variety of exercise in your training routine
Safe and suitable programming is one of the top benefits of personal training and particularly important if you have any contraindications to exercise, injuries, pre/post natal or post menopausal.
3. MOTIVATION & ACCOUNTABILITY When exercising on your own it can be easy to skip a session, snooze your alarm clock or cheat a set. A personal trainer will keep you accountable and push your workouts to the next level while providing motivation throughout each session and the duration of your program.
4. FRESH IDEAS & INSPIRATION It can be easy to fall into the same workout habits and eventually get bored with your workout routine. In addition to affecting your mood and motivation, this is a common cause of training plateau and you may be left wondering why you’re not seeing results from working out. A personal trainer can bring much-needed variety and a fresh perspective and new viewpoints to challenge both your body and mind. You can use these learnings and inspiration even after your PT programme ends.
5. EFFICIENCY PT’s conduct a needs analysis and use their expertise to create a tailored and individual fitness plan to help you maximise results in a timely manner, increasing the efficiency of your exercise program. This is especially beneficial if you have limited time to exercise – you know, nothing out of the ordinary, just the usual full-time job, family and social commitments – and you want to capitalize on the time you spend working out. Effective workouts with a personal trainer will make sure you’ll have time for other important things in your life.
6. SUPPORT One of the perhaps less known benefits of personal training is that it’s much more than fitness. Personal trainers act as unofficial therapists and can provide a great source of connection. Sure, they’ll help you reach your fitness goals but they also care about your well-being and can assist in improving not only your physical, but mental health.
Depending on your goals and budget, you may use a personal trainer once a week or once a month. If you’re not sure, just try it out once to see if it’s right for you.
Many great trainers also provide information, tools and resources on your nutrition and lifestyle habits to maximize your results. That is something you can take with you and incorporate in your journey to healthy, active living in the long term.